Black Thought II

The trials and tribulations of a 23-year-old college student who in his head thinks he's already a star in the journalism world. Ok, ok, maybe not a star...




When I become an agent, I'm signing him first


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



True story: Senior year of high school, I am reading the Sports Page on the school bus like every morning and it was just after the MLB Amature Draft.

In the back of the newspaper they listed the Dodgers and Angels selections.

I'm skimming through them to see who could be the next Mike Piazza and Eric Karros and I come across a Brian Barton, Westchester HS.

I didn't know the guy at the time but the fact that he went to Westchester HS stood out to me because at the time, my Dad was teaching over at 'Chester.

Three months later I am in a week long scholarship program and as I'm flipping through the names, I come across a Brian Barton.

Coincidence? I think not.

It was the same guy, who declined the Dodgers offer and decided to attend school at Loyola Marymount.

Being the huge baseball fan that I am, I paid extra attention the following Spring when baseball started and would check up on his stats.

He was struggling to say the least - I think he hit under .200 that season.

The next summer I see him and he's wearing a University of Miami t-shirt.

"You transfered?"

"Yup, going to walk on the team"

I had my doubts at first. I was just hoping he would get playing time because the "U" is a baseball powerhouse.

He did quite well for himself to say the least, hitting .330, 7HR's, 54RBI's.

On top of that, Miami made the College World Series so I got to see Brian on TV.

I was really just watching to see if they mentioned the scholarship program we were both involved in - I don't think they ever did.


Anyways, to make a long story short and to make it not seem like I'm riding his jock (cuz I'm not, I'm just really proud of him) he was drafted by the Cleveland Indians and is in the minor leagues.

Last summer he was playing for a team in Ohio and I had plans on seeing him as I made my drive across the country but he was promoted and sent to North Carolina.

I check his stats every few days and he's in the process of a 20 game hitting streak for the Kinston Indians. On top of that, he leads the Carolina League in batting average and HR's - which hopefully means he's on his way to a promotion to AA.

Keep making the rest of the scholars and Taylor proud, Brian...

More on Brian


1 Responses to “When I become an agent, I'm signing him first”

  1. Blogger Elle B. 

    I have no idea what those stats mean, but I am proud of him too.

    I saw him several times this past Winter - I guess he was home for his time off.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 



Web Black Thought II

About me

  • I'm Vandy
  • From Harlem, New York, United States
  • That dude.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



Black Thought II is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly