Over the years I have been spoiled by The Roots.
From Lincoln Center where Jay-Z came out to entertain the crowd to the House of Blues where they played nearly a three hour set one night.
They came to Hofstra tonight and put on, of course, a good show.
And to the average no music knowing Hofstra fan, it was the best concert they have ever seen.
Ever.
But The Roots weren't giving an 100 percent effort.
It's like Kobe dropping 38 points.
To the non-NBA fan, Kobe dropping 38 would be some great feat.
You would leave Staples Center thinking this guy was the best ever.
But to a Laker fan, Kobe scoring 38, ho-hum, just another night for #8 (soo to be #24)
Now The Roots at Lincoln Center - that was Kobe dropping 81.
Once in a lifetime experience.
This was the concert where Frank and I had front row seats.
And about halfway through the show, I hear this scream and in my head I'm going "Wow she must really love The Roots!"
I look over and a speaker had fallen on her and crushed her leg.
Normally I would have laughed but she was screaming in pain and even a couple members of the band looked to see what was going on as they kept on playing...
But back to the Hofstra show - after you have seen The Roots more than once, you sort of know how the concert will unfold.
You will get your random Black Thought freestyle.
Your "You Got Me" with Kirk Douglas singing the hook (or Cody Chestnutt if you see them on a good night)
The medley of songs that The Roots attempt to rap over...
And Hub's bass solo which steals the show...
...only until ?uestlove does his drum solo.
Either way, well worth the $10 bucks.
they charged your for the show?
boo! oh well, they played for free at SC last spring (best concert in my college career on campus)...
i saw black thought at Black Lily in L.A. He rhymed just as much as any of the acts...I mean he's dope, but not the same w/o the rest.