Life Is Not Promised
Published Thursday, May 18, 2006 by Vandy | E-mail this post 
Two black journalists lost their lives this week in which has been a tragic week for the journalism community.
The first being Julie Bailey who dropped dead at the Columbus Dispatch on Monday.
The second one though really hit home for me at least.
Dacia Dunson was a copy editor at the Baltimore Sun who passed away after a battle with Colon Cancer at the age of 33.
33, people.
No, I didn't know Ms. Dunson or ever had any contact with her.
But when I saw the words "Colon Cancer" and "33" it really hit me.
As I was reading her obit, I came across a piece she wrote before she passed that dealt with her illness.
She had a paragraph in there which would be a dead ringer for what I was experiencing except of 6 months, it was over a year I had felt this way:
I had gone to the emergency room three days before. My gastrointestinal doctor had met me there. I had been having stomach pains, diarrhea and constipation and was throwing up. I'd lost weight and was anemic. I'd been having these symptoms off and on for about six months. My doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong.Luckily my doctors found Crohn's instead of a tumor logged inside my colon but the similarities were a little too scary.
Because of my health situation, I pay close attention to anything that affects the colon or the rest of the digestive tract.
The one thing I took away from reading her struggle was life's not promised for anyone on this world.
If this could happen to a once healthy woman at the age of 33, what's there to say this couldn't happen to me or someone else I know at an even younger age.
Scary.
Like the Mighty Mos said - Shine Your Light On The World...
that's real Marcus...
sad in deed