Black Thought II

The trials and tribulations of a 23-year-old college student who in his head thinks he's already a star in the journalism world. Ok, ok, maybe not a star...




I can read, too.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Reading is Fundamental.

So I have done the Entertainment thing for a minute now with Black Voices and I'm ready to take my writing over to our new Books section.

I needed a good excuse to start reading again and this is the perfect one. I have three books in my bag that I am in the process of reading and that I suggest to folks.

This book, "Out of Bounds" caught my attention after reading something in the New York Times. Roy Simmons is a former NFL player who came out of the closet after he retired from the New York Giants. Now, he also has HIV and his life has fallen way downhill from his football days.

I just started reading it yesterday because I wanted to write something on it. A warning ... it's a little graphic. A little too graphic for my straight heterosexual ears at times but it's real talk. Dude had a messed up childhood and just a messed up life in general.



The Dead Emcee Scrolls I am reading this weekend as well to prepare for my Saul Williams interview on Tuesday. If you don't know who Saul Williams is, then you can kindly exit my blog. Thanks.

It's a book of his unrelesed rhymes and poems over the year and included a short story which explains how he became and discovered poetry.




Uncle Tom or New Negro is a book that I wanted to read just to get a better understanding about Booker T. Washington. Of the three books, this is the one that will take me the longest by far and make me think.

The second half of the book is Washington's Up From Slavery so its basically two books in one. Kicking off Black History Month a little early this year...





I finally enrolled for school for the Spring. And somehow, I got five classes that I actually need to get the hell up on out of here. As follows:

Spanish 2
Computer Science
Caribbean Lit
Envrionmental Science
Philosophy

Boooooring to say the least but it is what it is. The only class that really scares me is Spanish because of the layoff since I took Spanish 1. It's been a full year since I took that class.

I got stuck on a Monday-Wed-Fri schedule somehow which cuts down on my planned 4 day getaways to LA and other locations across the US. My last class on Friday ends at 3PM and my first class on Monday is at 9AM. Really kills that idea and I can't afford to miss Monday where I have all 5 classes in one day.

Basically, don't expect to hear from me on Monday's...


0 Responses to “I can read, too.”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 



Web Black Thought II

About me

  • I'm Vandy
  • From Harlem, New York, United States
  • That dude.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



Black Thought II is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly