Black Thought II

The trials and tribulations of a 23-year-old college student who in his head thinks he's already a star in the journalism world. Ok, ok, maybe not a star...




Book deals for barbers


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have always thought barbers are one of the most interesting types of people to talk to.

Maybe it's the personal connection a barber and his client can share.

There is nothing worse when your barber is not at the shop and you had to cross your fingers with Pops, the barber who has been cutting hair for way too long and always has no customers.

So as I was walking to work this morning, I happen to run into my NY barber. Dave, my LA guy, has been cutting my hair for eight years now and he still cuts it in when I'm back home.

But in the meantime I had to find someone I trusted in NY to cut my hair.

After having some bad luck with Jamaicans, I settled on the lone non-Jamaican at the shop I was going to.

So when I ran into him this morning on my walk to the subway, I knew it had to be a sign to get my haircut today.

Until tonight, not many words were exchanged between the two of us. But we struck up a conversation tonight after he asked me where I worked and how I study journalism.

"Yeah, I wanted to get into journalism." he said as he hooked me up with this sweet taper that I'm now sporting.

"I'm writing a book so I wanted to look into it."

In my head I'm thinking who hasn't said they are going to write a book.

"Yeah, I even had a book written about me."

What? Barbers getting novels? I must be in the wrong profession...

Come to find out, he does indeed have a book written about him.

It's called The Lost Children of Wilder

It's about the foster care system in New York and how my barber's mother was a product of the foster care system growing up.

At 14, she had him, and her son is put right back into the system which she is in. The book takes a look at the unfair practices of the foster care system and how a lawsuit came about all of this..

I told him that I would buy and read the book which I plan on picking up in the morning...

As I'm sitting there while he finishes cutting my hair, the journalist in me is of course going I would love to interview him to do a follow up story of some sort.

The nigga in me though is like damn, yo, someone famous is cutting my hair....


0 Responses to “Book deals for barbers”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 



Web Black Thought II

About me

  • I'm Vandy
  • From Harlem, New York, United States
  • That dude.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



Black Thought II is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly