Sick Watch 2006:
Day 6.
Last year around this time I had a similar problem and that lasted nearly two weeks so I'm halfway there!
No, but really, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me? Probably won't have a clue till next week when I get my lab results back.
Till then, 1 Motrin a day takes the fever away....till about 7PM.
I have been walking around with a thermometer in my pocket for the last few days, popping it in every few hours when people aren't looking. It's topping out at under 101 now (I lied, I just checked, 101.3) down from 103 so that's a plus...
But I had to go to the wellness center today on campus to get this lab work.
The nurse calls me and I find out where they hide all the friendly people with hearts on this campus - they are all stuck in the Wellness Center.
Trust me, I was nervous at the idea of one of the typical Hofstra employees jabbing me with a needle.
But the nurse was cool and we had something in common - she has a similar disease that I have so she knew what I have been through.
And that's good because people can think they know what it's like but unless you actually have it, you have no idea. None.
I hop on the table to get the blood work and I warned her about my tiny veins. I even know which needle to request for my lab work now.
She is searching for a vein, thinks she sees one and inserts. Not much pain but I could feel her rolling the needle around searching for the sucker. I make a funny face as it sort of hurts as she pulls the needle out.
"Ok, this is a test for Pat"
Pat is suppose to be the nurse who swears up and down that she can find a vein on anyone. Before my new buddy Carol could even get her, in walks Pat.
She was ready for the challange and said if she stuck me in the hand, then that's a DQ and she loses.
"Roll up your left sleeve," said Pat.
"See, Carol, here they are," as she points to my veins.
Now in Carol's defense, I should have told her that my left arm is my better arm.
Pat sticks me and before I could flinch, it was over.
"Now which nurse do you ask for next time you need blood."
I pointed and gave her the thumbs up.
After I finished, it was another 15 minutes before I got out of there. Carol gave me the lecture about how I need to find a GI on the East Coast.
"What are we going to do with you," as she shook her head in disgust.
If I had a nickel for every person who has said that to me, I would be rich. Rich I say.
Finally she sent me on my way with the name of a hospital in the area just in case I had to go and the name of a GI in the area.
See, there are some friendly people at Hofstra.
0 Responses to “Over/Under on Illness: 10 days”
Leave a Reply