
It's time to confess my love for a certain station on the television dial.
I have been wanting to blog about this for a minute but my manhood has stood in the way.
I'm addicted to the Food Network.
And not just Iron Chef because who hasn't seen that show a million times?
It started roughly a year ago when I had to take the semester off from school.
About 23 1/2 hours of my day was spent in the bed in front of a television so I started to venture out to other channels besides the norm (ESPN, MTV, etc...)
My mom used to watch "30 Minutes Meals" and I would be like damn, that Rachael Ray is annoying.
But little by little, she started to grow on me and then I soon began watching on my own.
And it has been all downhill from there.
It's ironic that I got hooked to the network during a span when food was the furthest thing on my mind.
It started with Rachael Ray and "30 Minute Meals" and then "$40 Dollars a Day" also by the lovely Ray. Before I knew it, I was watching "Good Eats" and "Unwrapped" which then led to "Food 911" and "Good Deal"
When I found out that I had to change my diet and take a serious look at what I could and couldn't eat, I started watching not just to stare at Rachael Ray but to get some ideas of other meals that I could eat.
The funny thing is I put none of these newfound skills to use while I was h

ome. It wasn't until this summer in Denver that I bought a bottle of EVOO (That's Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and started to throw down in the kitchen.
It came to a point where I had to learn how to cook for myself because my stomach can't handle your typical college food. So it was either be hungry (I'm skinny enough as it is) or break out the pots and pans.
But nobody knew about this. I didn't tell anyone. I figured my boys wouldn't understand and laugh at me. Hell, I would probably laugh myself if someone told me they watched the Food Network.
And then I realized females like guys who can cook.
And females will eat you out of house and home when you cook.
Sharing a room last semester, I would try to watch when I could but I would turn the channel so quick as soon as my roomate walked in.
Now, with this single, I can watch without being paranoid.
You would think I was looking at porn the way I would react when someone walked in the room.
On that note, I am cooking for a few friends for the Super Bowl tomorrow. I don't do it often because food costs money and negros don't chip in for the food but I figured it was a special occassion.
Food Network, I am still waiting for you to have a TV show with a black person by the way...
"My name is Talia, and I'm a Food Network junkie."
Number one, I'm mad Rachel Ray is in FHM all lathered up like some of her freshly washed veggies. I don't approve. At all.
Secondly, welcome to the club, honey. We must throw down some time in the future. I gotta see your EVOO skills.
Don't worry about it, man. Sometimes being the anti-thesis to popular Black culture (aka, a nerd), or dabbling in "non-Black culture" (aka, the Food Network -- they could use more Black folks than Al Roker) can be a good thing. Don't be ashamed of it. Haters will hate, but lovers will be grubbing up on some damn good food. Or be fed damn well.
Rachel Ray is a culinary goddess who will one day have status erected in her image. And EVOO is the shit. Thank goodness for 30-Minute Meals.